1. Now and then: occasionally.
I have to go my native now and then.
2. To make a fortune: to become rich.
Jimmy made a fortune by becoming Income tax officer.
3. With a sinking heart: sadly / sorrowfully.
The team accepted the defeat with a sinking heart.
4. To get hold of: to catch.
Please get hold of that book. I need it.
5. Fade away: to disappear / to vanish.
The bright colors of clothes fade away in the sunshine.
6. To have little to do with: not to be concerned with; to have no relation with.
This is your personal matter. I have little to do with it.
7. To keep an eye on: to watch over closely.
Please keep an eye on the playing children.
8. To set off: to start (race, journey etc.)
We set off our picnic at 6.00 in the morning.
9. In no time: soon / immediately.
Reema is expert in preparing sketches in no time.
10. Worth a pie: insignificant / having no value.
Wise men’s thoughts are worth a pie to fools.
Post Credit: Prakash Khuman, Bhupesh Gupta (Book: Communicative English)
Comments
Post a Comment